Sunday, April 10, 2016

Celebrating Failure

Celebrating Failure


     I believe that a time this semester that I might consider failing, was when I recently got a concussion in a basketball game. Getting the concussion was not the failure, but I feel like I was not careful on how I was treating my body. That day, I had gone wakeboarding in the morning, then went and worked out, then went to a softball game, and finally played pickup basketball which made me faint and hit my head on the court which led to my concussion. I had to go to the hospital and had to be there a couple of days as well as be on bed rest for the following week. I could not drive, really even look at computer/tv screens which made me not be able to study, and not do any activities.
     I feel like this could of potentially been avoided if I was more careful and made sure to eat, not take too much caffeine, and let my body rest. This accident also obviously cost a lot of money as Shands is not cheap. So, overall I do not know if I would entirely call it a failure because it was truly an accident but I am now much more conscious and proactive about what I am eating/drinking/resting etc. So, I learned that I have to now be much more conscious which I believe will serve me well in the future.
     I do think that failure is hard but I also think that it is key to growing. I would never hope that I was too sheltered to experience failure, which I know would greatly hinder my personal growth. Failure will never be easy though and I hope that I will continue to handle failure better as I get older. I think that this class has helped me change my perspective on failure, especially the video interviews that sometimes made you have to act resiliently.
    

3 comments:

  1. Sawyer, your post was insightful in that we do not always look at our health from the perspective of failure. In reality, it is true. You failed to eat and nourish your body. You failed (as we all our guilty of) failing to listening to the signs our body gives us to get some rest. Ultimately, your body gives you a harsh reality since we choose not to listen, well, it will force you to get the time and rest it needs and in your case a hospital. I really like your example because we never really think of failure in those terms. Very enlightening.

    Here is the link to my post: http://sonjasevolution.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sawyer! I really liked the approach you took with the assignment. I feel like a lot of people, including myself, went with things that were academic or task orientated so it was nice to see something different. I agree that failure is part of the growth experience. However, I think that sheltered people also face failure, just in a different form. Here’s a link to my post: http://cxgoss.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sawyer!

    First off, hope you are doing better since your accident. There are so many times where we forget about what our bodies can handle and push them too hard, especially when you have those activity filled days. I have had so many of those, and by the end of them I feel like I am going to pass out. It is important to remember to keep ourselves in check and only do that which we can handle. Great post!

    Check out my blog if you get a chance:
    http://cthomasuf.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete